Monday, January 14, 2008

Yet Another Weekend Story

I am the one of the biggest culprits for doing this- I ask all and sundry, “What did you do last weekend”. Some tell me in detail, some give only data points while some simply glare (for the life of me I don’t know why!). The reason I do is because it tells me a lot about the person and helps me see them in what I consider their elements.

Anyway, this is a boring post about what I did this weekend.

The Friday night was duly spent at my favourite pub in Bombay, Totos in Bandra. Lots of beer and rum flowed through the night spent with friends, colleagues at Totos, at my house, at another friend’s house etc. This was followed by the customer coffee at 4 AM from the cycle wallah post which S decided we had to see his house. He however was so drunk that he showed us the wrong house.

Saturday began with finishing some office work in the morning and picking Dad up from the airport. However Sa made the evening brilliant when we decided to fly kites (in Maharashtra kites are flown on Makar Sankriti), and also in the process discovered that we had a lovely terrace, which was duly celebrated with some beer (Yeah, in Mumbai you can get the shop to deliver beer cans right up to your terrace). Finally took my dad to see Taare Zameen Par (my third time). We both agreed that Darsheel has to be up for a Best Actor Oscar and if we edit the movie a little then there is no reason why we can’t win the Best Foreign Film award as well.

The Sunday began with a show at my Movie Club (www.enlighten.co.in) where they screened a Bengali documentary by an American called “Born into Brothels” on the children born to sex workers of Sonargachi. Dad gave them a 3 star while I being the more liberal kind gave them 4 stars. Lunch was at my favourite Sunday spot, Sea View Hotel and then the much needed Sunday afternoon siesta. I spent a lot of that time listening to the Christmas carols played by Amjad Ali Khan on the sarod and then watching the Accenture debate on a multi polar world. The evening however was the best part of the weekend. We went for a Hariharan Pongal concert at probably the most picture perfect venue I have seen, amphitheatre of Badra Fort. He sang Tamil and Hindi film music, ghazals, fusion and a brilliant genre he called Urdu Blues. For most of the concert we were sitting on a twelve feet high wall of the fort with the concert in the front and a brilliant view of the Bandra Worli sea link and the arc of Bombay lights from Bandra to Worli. I cannot but describe how beautiful the experience was and it showcased just how cosmopolitan city Bombay is. This city turns up in numbers to celebrate a primarily Tamil festival dancing to Tamil songs from Ilaiyaraja to Shivaji. The dinner (I must tell the bongs this) was golda chingri which my mom sent from Cal!

So here s the story of my weekend, the correct response from you will be, “So Why The Hell Are You Telling Us” Cheers!

1 Comments:

Blogger Madhurjya (Banjo) Banerjee said...

And how does what one does over the weekend in their pseudo intellectual settings and with their masks on define who they are?

12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home