Thursday, May 18, 2006

School

This by the way is the real purpose of my visit... The Accenture Strategy training school for Analysts.

I feel the best thing about this trip was being able to meet people from different countries. Its seldom you get to work in teams with British and Japanese Managers, American consultants, Korean Analysts etc. The more I see of the British I just love their accent. In some ways it does tell you that the world might speak it but at the end of the day its still their language. The Indians are by far the best in numbers in class but I must add a caveat here that while American analysts are all grad school students, the Indians are from B Schools. One unfortunate fact is that in spite of this great opportunity people really weren't mixing as much as they should have and there was a Brazilian ghetto, a British community, an American gang and we desis.

The courses were taught by people with really great backgrounds, mostly senior managers and partners in the firm with a Wharton or Harvard B School background to them. In fact I fell in love with my instructor of value creation. She s this amazing 35 year old lady who is probably one of the most graceful, knowledgable and spirited I ve come across (not to forget her great dimples). When she went into the depths of why ROIC is a better medium to compare firms than ROA and ROE, it all started to make sublime sense. We were also exposed to some amazing tools for analysis like Crystal Ball etc. It was what I would call a further consultization of us, with structured thinking being drilled in at every step.

Here I must mention a couple of things. The food here is awesome and one day I counted they were serving beef, pork, lamb, duck, chicken, sword fish, salmon, prawns in addition to some 15 varieties of vegetarian fare and more. I hogged and hogged and hogged til I grew tired and started having salads!

The other is that while a dynamic business modelling class was on in full swing it also happened to be the time Dravid and Kaif were batting against the windies and you could see all of us toggle between excel screen and cric info. In fact one of us found an amazing site where you could track the match in animation. When the class got over some 6 of us stayed back to track it on one screen cheering all the way making smiles go around as people watched us cheer India to victory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home